Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Charting cont'd

Today, we finished the charting activity by making a graph comparing the number of students on an IEP in the four lowest per capita income states. After we found the next three poorest states, after WV, we figured out the number of students on an IEP.

Even though this activity was more work, I enjoyed it more because it involved more math! We had to compare the per capita incomes of all the states to find the next three poorest next to WV. Then we had to do some basic math to figure out the actual number of students in each state on an IEP. We used those numbers to make our graph. I would use this kind of activity in a middle or junior high level to discuss how statistics become distorted. (An explanation based on our information is included with my graph.)

Overall, I greatly enjoyed these graphing activities. I am 99.9% sure they are going to come in very handy in my classroom one day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment